|Vedanta Spiritual Library|
[Maha Veera Vaibhavam of Sri Vedantha Desika]
Translated by P. R. Ramachander
"Vedanta Desika's Raghuveera Gadyam, which celebrates Lord Rama's valour, was composed when he was residing at the temple town of Thiruvendipuram in Tamil Nadu. The temple has icons of Rama, Lakshmana and Sita, and here Rama is seen as Kodandarama (with a bow in His hand). Inspired by this, Desika wrote Raghuveera Gadyam, in which he focuses on Rama as a veera (warrior). But Rama was not an ordinary warrior. He was a mahaveera. He was not only capable of fighting courageously Himself, but could also lead an army. Thus, He combined in Himself the qualities of courage and leadership. Hence, Desika referred to Him as a mahaveera, said Vaduvur Veeraraghavachariar. In fact, Raghuveera Gadyam is known as Mahaveera Vaibhavam." [Source: www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/religion/article2633529.ece]
The book does not attempt to tell the story of Ramayana and not even summarize Ramayana but brings before us some of the very important and striking scenes of Ramayana. The words used vary from soft to hard and takes great care to make it most suitable to describe the scene that it depicts. This is a simple translation. Readers interested to read a very scholarly translation with commentaries are requested to visit: www.sundarasimham.org/ebooks/ebook5.htm.
Euology to Vedantha Desika.
Sriman Venkatanatharya kavi tharkika Kesari,
Vedanthacharya varyoh may sannidatham hrudhi.
Venkatanatha the lion among poets and debate,
Who is a great scholar of Vedantha,
Keeps the Lord always in his mind.
Salutation to God Rama.
Jayathi asritha santhrasa dwantha vidwamsanodhaya,
Prabhaavaan Sitaya devyaa parama vyoma Bhaskara.
Victory to him who is the destroyer of fear
Of darkness to those who surrender to him,
And that Lord of splendour is the divine Sun,
In the sky of the Goddess Sita.
Maha Veera Vaibhavam also called Raghu Veera Gadhyam
1. Jaya, Jaya, Maha veera,
2. Maha dheera dhoureya, Jaya, Jaya,
3. Devasura samara samaya samudhitha nikhila nirjara nirdharitha niravadhika, Mahatmya,
4. Dasa vadana dhamitha dhaivatha, Parishad abhyarthitha dasarathi bhaava,
5. Dinakara kula kamala divakara,
6. Divishad adhidadhipathi rana sahacharana chathura Dasaradha charama runa vimochana,
7. Kosala sudhaa kumara bhava kanchuchitha karanaakara.
Victory, Victory to the greatly valorous one, Who is in front of all very bold people, who during the war between devas and asuras, was accepted as one of unsurpassed and complete valour, who was imperishable and of great fame, who took the form of the son of Dasaratha as per the request of the devas who were troubled by the ten headed Ravana, who is the lotus opened by the Sun in the clan of the Sun, who by his birth removed the debt for the manes of Dasaratha who helped Indra during his war, who being born as the son of the daughter of Kosala and assumed the activities of a child and hid the real causal reason for his birth.
8-10. Koumara keli gopayitha koushikaadwara.
Ranaa dwara durya bhavya divyasthra brundha vandhitha.
Pranatha jana vimadhana dhurlalitha dhorlalitha.
Who like a sport of a lad protected the fire sacrifice of Sage Viswamithra, Who was saluted with humility by the crowd of divine arrows waiting for his commands at the battle, who shines with his fearsome shoulders that lead to the destruction of enemies of those who salute him.
11. Thanuthatra vishikha vithaadana vighatitha visaararu shararu thadaka thadakeya, Jaya, Jaya.
Who using his tiny arrows killed Thadaka and humiliated her sons, who were never troubled by any one before. Victory. Victory.
12. Jada kirana sakala dara jatila nata pathi makuta thata natanapatu vibhudha saritha athibahula Madhu ganana lalitha patha nalini raja upa mrudhitha nija vrujina jahadhupala thanuruchira paramamudhivara yuvathi nutha, Jaya, Jaya.
"You were praised by great lady Ahalya, who was the wife of sage Goutama, by cleansing her sin by the dust and touch of Your lotus feet, and also getting her true form from that of the state of being a stone. Your lotus feet is so pure and holy that the sacred Ganga which flowed from the head of the Lord Siva who is a master in dancing and who wears the moon as an ornament on his head." Victory, Victory. [Source: www.srivaishnavan.com/upload2.5/raghuveeragadyam.html]
13. Kusika sutha kadhitha vidhitha nava vividha kadha, Jaya, Jaya.
You heard the varied types of stories told by Viswamithra the son of Kusika. Victory, Victory.
14. Maithila nagara sulochana lochana chakora chandra, Jaya, Jaya.
Oh Lord who was like a Chakora bird's moon to the pretty eyed ladies of Mithila. Victory, Victory. (Chakora is a mythical bird eating moon light and waits for the moon.)
15. Khanda parasu Kothanda prakhanda khandana sounda bhuja danda, Jaya, Jaya.
Breaking the bow of Lord Shiva by your arm, Oh strong armed one. Victory, Victory.
16. Chanda kirana mandala bodhitha pundareeka vana ruche luntake lochana, Jaya, Jaya.
Your eyes stole the beauty of the lotus flowers energized by the piercing rays of the sun. Victory, Victory.
17. Mochitha Janaka hrudaya sankhathanga, Jaya, Jaya.
You freed the heart of Janaka of the doubt and worry. Victory, Victory.
18. Parihrutha nikhila narapathi varana Janaka duhithru kuch thata viharana samuchitha kara thala, Jaya, Jaya.
Seizing the wedding garland from all other kings, you had the suitable handle to fondle over the chest of the daughter of Janaka. Victory, Victory.
19. Sathakoti sathaguna kadina parasudhara munivara kara drutha duravanamathama nija Dhanur aakarshana prakasitha paaramoshtyaa, Jaya, jay.
The sage with an axe who had a in his hand, Hundred billions times hard and hundred times more efficient bow which was hard practice, and you showed that you can bend the bow to send an arrow and showed him your supreme glory. Victory, Victory.
20. Kruthuhara shikhari kanthuka vihruthyunmukha jithahari danthi Dhandhura dasavadana dhamana kushala dasa satha bhuja mukha nrupathikula rudhira jara bharitha pruthuthara tataka tharpitha pithruka brughupathi sugadhi vihathi kara natha parudishu paritha, Jaya, Jaya.
You put an end using a broad arrow resembling the lock of the door, to the good period of the Lord of Bhrugu clan who killed. The king with thousand arms and faces who himself defeated the ten faced Ravana, who shook the Kailasa mountain, defeated Devendra and exhibited the wounds inflicted on him by the majestic elephant of Indra. And also killed twenty one generations of kings and did oblation to his father in the pond filled with their blood. Victory, Victory.
21. Anrutha bhaya mushitha hrudaya pithru vachana paalana prathijnaa vajnatha youa rajya, Jaya, Jaya.
For carrying out the orders of your very fear struck father who was tied by the oath he had given, you gave up the position of Yuva Raja (crown prince). Victory, Victory.
22. Nishadha Raja Souhrudha soochitha sousheelya sagara, Jaya, Jaya.
You proved that you are ocean of good nature by showing great friendship to the hunter king. Victory, Victory.
23. Bhardawaja saasana parigraheetha vichithra chithra koota giri kataka thata ramya vasadha, Jaya, Jaya.
As per the wish of sage Bhradwaja you lived in a pretty house on the foothills of the wonderful Chithrakoota. Victory, Victory.
24. Ananya sasaneeya, Jaya, Jaya.
You who cannot be commanded by anyone else. Victory, Victory.
25. Pranatha Bharatha makuta thata sughatitha Padukagryabhisheka nivarthitha sarva loka Yoga kshema, Jaya, Jaya.
You arranged for the crowning of the Slippers by Bharatha, who saluted you and looked after the welfare of all people. Victory, Victory.
26. Pisitha ruche vihitha duritha valamadhana thanaya Bali bhuganugathi Sarabhasa sayana truna sakala paripathana bhaya chakitha sakala sura munivara bahumatha mahasthra samarthyaa, Jaya, Jaya.
You sent a blade of grass from your Durbha bed at the son of Indra in the form of crow, interested in eating flesh with the power of Brahmastra and he greatly scared approached all gods and sages. Victory, Victory.
27. Druhina hara valamadhana duraaraksha, saralaksha, Jaya, Jaya.
Even all gods could not protect that son of Indra from the aim of your arrow. Victory, Victory.
28. Dandakaa thapovana jangama Parijatha, Jaya, Jaya.
You were the moving wish giving tree of Dandadka forest. Victory, Victory.
29. Viraadha Harina Sardhoola, Jaya, Jaya.
You were like to the deer called Viradhaa. Victory, Victory.
30. Vilulitha bahuphala makha kalama rajanichara mruga magrayaarambha sambrutha cheera bruthanurodha, Jaya Jaya.
Then you hunted the Rakshasas like one hunts beasts to protect the crops and protected the sages like a bark protects them. Victory, Victory.
31. Trisira sirasthrithaya thimira niraasa vasarakara, Jaya, Jaya.
You appeared like the sun who banishes darkness when you cut the three heads of Trisiras. Victory, Victory.
32. Dhooshana jala nidhi soshana thoshitha rishigana ghoshitha viJaya ghoshana, Jaya, Jaya.
You brought back water in the treasure of water dried by Dhooshana (commander of Khara) and sages hailed your Victory. Victory, Victory.
33. Khara thara, Khara tharu khandana, chanda pavana, Jaya Jaya.
You were the storm that broke the ferocious Khara in to two pieces. Victory, Victory.
34. Dwisaptha raksha sahasra nala vana vilolana mahakalabha, Jaya, Jaya.
You were the great elephant that uprooted fourteen thousand trees like Rakshasas. Victory, Victory.
35. Aasahaaya Sura, Jaya Jaya.
An incomparable hero. Victory, Victory.
36. Anapaya sahasa. Victory, Victory.
You were eternally brave hero. Victory, Victory.
37. Mahitha mahamrudha darsana Maithili drudathara parirambhana vibhava viropitha vikata veeravruna, Jaya, Jaya.
Seeing the greatly respected battle, the daughter of Mithila embraced you tightly, with your chest covered with wounds of the battle. Victory, Victory.
38. Mareecha maya mruga charma parikarmitha nirbhara dharbhastharana, Jaya, Jaya.
Your bed of Dharbha grass was spread with the skin of the illusory deer called Mareecha. Victory, Victory.
39. Vikrama yaso laabha vikreetha jeevitha grudra raja deha dhidakshaa lakshitha
Bhakthajana Dakshinya, Jaya, Jaya.
You who has softer emotions to your devotees, did the funeral rites of the king of eagle who with great valour fought and lost is life. Victory, Victory.
40. Kalpitha vibhudhga bhava Kabandha abhinandhitha, Jaya, Jaya.
You were thanked by Khabhanda who regained his wise form. Victory, Victory.
41. Avandhya mahima muni jana bhajana mushitha hrudaya kalusha Sabari moksha sakshi Bhootha, Jaya Jaya.
You were the witness to the salvation of the lowly Shabhari, who served several saints of unblemished reputation with enraptured mind. Victory, Victory.
42. Prabhanjana thanaya bhavuka bhashitha ranjitha hrudaya, Jaya, Jaya.
Your mind was pleased by the auspicious and polite talk of the son of wind god. Victory, Victory.
43. Tharani sutha Saranagatha parathanthrikrutha swathanthrya, Jaya, Jaya.
You sought refuge from the son of Sun God and by that you ceded your independence to him. Victory, Victory.
44. Druda gaditha Kailasa koti vikata Dhundhbhi kankala koota dhoora vikshepa Daksha dakshinethara padangushta dara chalana viswastha suhruda aasaya, Jaya, Jaya.
You gained the close friendship and belief by the movement of your right thumb by which you threw the mountain like monstrous skeleton of Dhundhubhi for a very long distance. Victory, Victory.
45. Athi pruthula bahu vitapi giri dharani vivara yuga padhudhaya vivrutha chithra punkha vaichithrya, Jaya, Jaya.
You with your decorated arrow pierced the very broad trees, mountain, earth and hell. Wonder of wonders. Victory, Victory.
46. Vipula bhuja saila moola nibhida nipeeditha Ravana rana ranaka janaka chathuradhadhi viharana chathura kapi kula pathi hrudaya vishala silathala dharana dharuna silee mukha, Jaya, Jaya.
You sent your fierce arrow at the broad and stone like chest of the king of monkeys, who caught the anxious Ravana who came to fight and keeping him in his arm pit flew to the four oceans to do his daily oblations. Victory, Victory.
47. Apaaraa Paaraavaara parigha parivrutha dhava davana javana pavana bhava kapivara bhavitha sarvaswa dhana, Jaya, Jaya.
You embraced the monkey Lord who was the son of wind god, which appeared to him as giving all that he desired and you blessed him to cross the very great ocean and set fire to the town. Victory, Victory.
48. Ahitha sahodhara raksha parigraha visamvaadhi vividha sachiva visrambhana samaya samrambha samujjrumbitha sarveshwara bhava, Jaya, Jaya.
You assumed your universal form to give confidence to the different ministers when they were considering the protection to be given to the brother of the enemy. Victory, Victory.
49-51 Sakruth prapannasamrakshana deekshitha, Jaya, Jaya.
Veera, Jaya, Jaya,
Sathya Vrutha Jaya, Jaya
You had taken the penance of protecting those who surrender themselves to you. Victory, Victory.
Valorous one. Victory, Victory.
One who has penance of truth. Victory, Victory.
52. Prathisayan bhoomika bhooshitha payodhi puina, Jaya, Jaya.
You who made the sands of the ocean by lying down on it decorating it with grass. Victory, Victory.
53. Pralaya sikhi parusha vishikha shikhaa soshithaakoopaara vari poora, Jaya, Jaya.
You dried up the waters of the ocean by your flaming arrows, which resembled the flame at deluge. Victory, Victory.
54. Prabhala ripu kalaha kuthuka chatula kapikula thoolitha hrutha giri nikara sadhitha sethu pada seemaa seemanthitha samudra, Jaya, Jaya.
You built the bridge that divided the ocean employing the monkey clan who were eager for the war and brought mountains as if they were bales of cotton and threw it in the sea. Victory, Victory.
55. Drutha gathi tharu mruga varoodhini nirudha lankha varodha vepadhu lasya leelopadesa desika dhanurjyaghosha, Jaya, Jaya.
You the teacher by the sound of your bow instructed the ladies of Lanka in trembling like dance, when the monkeys speedily marched and put their city under siege. Victory, Victory.
56. Gagana chara kanaka giri garima dhara nigamamaya nija garuda garudhanila lava galitha visha vadana sara khadana, Jaya, Jaya.
Your friend that Garuda who is the embodiment of Vedas came like a golden mountain in the sky and by the breeze of its wings chased away the effect that poisonous arrow. Victory, Victory.
57. Akruthachara vana chara rana karana vailakshya kooneethaksha bahuvidha raksho baladhyaksha vaksha kavata patina patima saatopa kopavalepa, Jaya, Jaya.
You with anger and valour split open the chests, like opening a door of Rakshasas whose eyes were shut because they were fighting against lowly monkeys. Victory, Victory.
58. Katuratadh atani tankruthi chatula katora kaarmukha vishikha vithadana vighatitha makuta vihwala viswasthanaya visrama samaya visravana vikhyatha vikarama, Jaya, Jaya.
You with great anger after twanging your bow sent a flameless bow which powdered the crowns making him scared and you allowed him to take rest showing your very famous valour. Victory, Victory.
59. Kumbhakarna kula giri vidhalana dhamboli Bhootha ni shanka khgangapathra, Jaya, Jaya.
You using a very powerful arrow which is of unquestioned power broke their family mountain Kumbakarna. Victory, Victory.
60. Abhicharana huthawaha paricharana vighatana sarabhasa paripatha aparimitha kapi bhala jaladhi lahari kalakalarava kupitha Madha vajidh abhihanana kruth anuja saksheeka Rakshasa dwadwa yudha, Jaya, Jaya.
Your brother who after killing Indrajith with angry enthusiasm after disturbing his black magic homa with the limitless monkey army by making screeching sounds and throwing waves of water, witnessed your great battle with the Rakshasas with great pride. Victory, Victory.
61. Aprathi dwanda pourusha, Jaya, Jaya.
Your absolute and incomparable valour in mutual fight. Victory, Victory.
62. Trayambaka samadhika ghorathradambara. Jaya, Jaya.
You have more fiercer divine arrows than Lord Shiva.
63. Saradhi hrutha Radha sathrapa shastrava sathyapitha prathapa, Jaya, Jaya.
Your fame was proved as true when the charioteer of that Rakshasa king, lead him away from the battle. Victory, Victory.
64. Sitha sara krutha lavana dasamukha mukha dasaka nipathana punar udaya dara galitha janitha dara tharala harihaya nayana nalinavana ruche khachitha nipathitha sura tharu kusuma vithathio surabhitha Radha padha, Jaya, Jaya.
Your path of chariot was made scented by the showering of flowers of Kalpaga tree which was further added by the thousand happy eyes of Indra, (which looked like a forest of fully opened lotus flowers) seeing you cut off the heads of Ravana by Brahmastra, after they fell and appeared again. Victory, Victory.
65. Akhila jagadadhika bhuja bala dasaka lavana janitha kadana paravasa rajani chara yuvathi vilapana vachana sama vishaya nigama shikara nikara mukhara muka muni vara pari panitha, Jaya, Jaya.
You were saluted and praised by great sages using praises worthy of Vedas after Mandodhari, the young Rakshasa lady lamented at her loss her very strong Lord of the universe using words containing Vedic truths due to her very great sorrow. Victory, Victory.
66. Abhigatha sathamuka huthvaha pithrupathi Niryathi Varuna Pavana Dhanadha Gireesa Mukha Surapathi nuthi mudhitha.
You were approached by Indra, Agni, Yama, Niruathi, Varuna, Vayu, Khubhera, Lord Shiva and were made happy by their praises. Victory, Victory.
67. Amitha mathi vidhi vidhitha kadhitha nija vibhava jaladhi prushatha lava, Jaya, Jaya.
You were praised Lord Brahma who had very great wisdom told about your real greatness and it was only a drop in the ocean. Victory, Victory.
68. Vigatha bhaya vibudha parivruda veera sayana saayitha vanara pruthanougha, Jaya, Jaya.
You then requested Indra who has lost his fear to bring back to life all the monkeys and he did it and the monkeys started moving like a great river. Victory, Victory.
69. Swasamaya vighatitha sughathitha sahrudhaya saha dharma charineeka, Jaya, Jaya.
You again joined with your wife (the partner in execution of Dharma), from whom you had separated earlier of your own free will. Victory, Victory.
70. Vibheeshana vasamvadheekrutha Lankaiswarya, Jaya, Jaya.
You put Vibheeshana in complete control of the wealth of Lanka. Victory, Victory.
71. Nishpanna kruthya, Jaya, Jaya.
You completed your duties. Victory, Victory.
72. Kha pushpitha ripu paksha, Jaya, Jaya.
You made your enemies in to the flowers of the sky. Victory, Victory.
73. Pushpaka rabhasa gathi ghoshpathikrutha gaganarnava, Jaya, Jaya.
By the speed of the Pushpaka Vimana, you made the sea in to a hoof of a cow. Victory, Victory.
74. Prathijnarnava tharana krutha Kshana Bharatha manoradha Samhitha Simhasanadhi rooda, Jaya, Jaya.
You fulfilled the wish of Bharatha who had taken a vow to jump in fire, by sitting on the throne. Victory, Victory.
75. Swamin, Jaya, Jaya.
My Lord. Victory, Victory.
76. Raghava Simha, Jaya, Jaya.
Oh Raghava the lion. Victory, Victory.
77. Hataka giri kataka ladaha pada peeta nikata thata pariluthidha nikhila nrupathi kireeta koti vividha mani gana kirana nikara neeraajitha charana rajiva, Jaya, Jaya.
Your foot golden foot rest shined like the golden meru mountain and when your shining lotus, was reflected in the crowns of the saluting kings, it appeared as if, it was being worshipped with lighted camphor. Victory, Victory.
78. Divya bhouma Ayodhya adhi daivatha, Jaya, Jaya.
You were the presiding deity of the two Ayodhyas (one in heaven and another in earth). Victory, Victory.
79. Pithru vadha kupitha parasu dhara muni vihitha nrupa hanana kadana Poorva kala prabhava satha guna prathishtapitha dharmika raja vamsa, Jaya, Jaya.
You reestablished good royal families as the previous generations were killed by the axe bearing sage who became angry because his father was killed. Victory, Victory.
80. Shubha charitha ratha Bharatha garvitha garva gandharva yoota getha viJaya gadha satha, Jaya, Jaya.
You sent the well-loved Bharatha with good nature to fight with the proud and haughty Gandharwas and after his Victory that started singing and praising you. Victory, Victory.
81. Shasitha Madhu sutha Shatrugna sevitha, Jaya, Jaya.
You sent Shatrugna to kill Lava, the son of Madhu, and after doing that he started serving you again. Victory, Victory.
82. Kusa lava parigrahitha kula Gadhaa visesham. Jaya, Jaya.
Kusa and Lava learnt the very special story of your clan. Victory, Victory.
83. Vidhi vasa parinamadha mara bhanithi kavi vara rachitha nija charitha nibhandhana nisamana nirvrutha, Jaya, Jaya.
You were thrilled to hear the discourse of your story composed by a great poet who saw the death due to turns of fate. Victory, Victory.
84. Sarva jana Sammanitha, Jaya, Jaya.
You who have breen glorified by all people. Victory, Victory.
85. Punar upasthapitha vimana vara visravana praneetha vaisravana visravitha yasa prapancha, Jaya, Jaya.
You returned as gift the Pushpaka Vimana to Kubhers who became happy and praised you and your fame spread all over the world.
86. Panchathapanna muni kumara sanjeevanamrutha, Jaya, Jaya.
You brought back to life the dead son of a sage who was doing penance. Victory, Victory.
87. Tretha yuga pravarthitha Kartha yuga vruthantha, Jaya, Jaya.
You maintained in Krutha yugam, the dharma of Tretha Yugam. Victory, Victory.
88. Avikala bahu suvarna haya mukha nirvahana nirvarthitha nija varnasrama dharma.
You followed the real Varnashrama Dharma by giving as gift lots of gold and also conducting several Aswa Medha sacrifices. Victory, Victory.
89. Sarva karma samaradhya Jaya, Jaya.
You who were worshipped for performing all duties. Victory, Victory.
90. Sanathana Dharma Jaya Jaya.
Victory, Victory to the religion of Hindus (Perennial Dharma with no origin).
91. Sakhetha jana pada janidhanika janthu Jatha divya gathi dhana darsitha nithya nisseema vaibhava, Jaya, Jaya.
You whose fame is always and limitless also gave salvation to all the people of Ayodhya, as well the animals living there. Victory, Victory.
92. Bhava thapana thapitha bhaktha jana Bhadra Rama, Jaya, Jaya.
You take care of the devotees suffering due to sorrow of domestic life and keep them safe. Victory, Victory.
93. Sri Rama Bhadra Jaya, Jaya.
Victory, Victory to Rama Bhadra.
94. Namasthe, punasthe nama.
Salutations and again salutations.
Chathur mukheswara Mukhai puthra pouthradhi saline,
Nama Sita samethaya Ramaya Gruha medine.
Salutations to Rama, who is leading family life with Sita.
Who has Lord Brahma as son and Lord Parameswara as grandson.
Kavi Kadhika Simha kadhitham katora sukumara gumba gambheera,
Bhava bhya bheshajam yethath padatha Maha Veera Vaibhavam Sudhiya.
Oh intellectuals this work called "The greatness of the great hero",
Has been composed by the poet who is the lion among poets,
And is made up of soft and hard words with deep implications,
And would destroy the fear of the disease of domestic life.