|Vedanta Spiritual Library|
Bhavayami Raghu Ramam
By Maharaja Swathi Thirunal
Translated by P. R. Ramachander
Ragam Raga malika
Bhavayami Raghu ramam,
Bhavuka vitharanapara apanga lasitham
1. Dinakara anvaya thilakam, divya gadheeswara savanna, (Nattai kurinji)
Vana rachitha subahu mukha vadham mahalya pavanam,
Anagha mesa chapa bhangam janaka suthaa pranesam,
Ghana kupitha brughu rama garva hara mitha saketham
2. Vihitha abhisheka madha vipina gathamarya vaachaa, (Dhanyasi)
Sahitha sita soumithreem shanthathamaseelam
Guha nilaya gatham Chithakootagatha bharatha datha,
Mahitha rathna maya padukam madhana sundarangam.
3. Vithatha danda karanya gatha Viradha dalanam, (mohanam)
Sucharitha ghataja dathanupamiha vaishnavasthram,
Patha gaura jatayunutham Panchavati vihitha vasam,
Athi ghora soorpanakha vachanagatha kharadhi haram.
4. Kanaka mruga roopa dhara khalamaareecha mahamiha, (Mukari)
Sujana vimatha dasasya hruth janakajja anveshanam,
Anagham pampa theera sangha thaanjaneya nabhomanim,
THanuja sakhya karam Valee thanu dalanameesam.
5. Vanarothama sahitha vayu soonu kararpitha, (Purvi Kalyani)
Bhanu satha bhaswara bhavya rathanguleeyam,
Thena punaraneeta nyoona choodamani darsanam,
Sri Nidhi mudhadhi theere sritha vibheeshana militham.
6. Kalitha vara sethu bhandham khala nissema pisithasana, (Madhyamavathi)
Dalana muru dasa kanda vidharanamadhi dheeram,
Jwalana pootha janaka sutha sahitham yatha saketham
Vilasitha pattabhishekam viswapalam Padmanabham.
I meditate on Rama of Raghu's clan,
Who is a garden of humility and good qualities.
Happily distributing his shining,
Side long glances on his devotees.
1. Ornament of the clan of the Sun God,
Who protected the fire sacrifice of Viswamithra,
Who killed Asuras like Subahu in the forest,
Who purified the sage's wife Ahalya,
Who broke the divine bow of Shiva,
Became the husband of the daughter of Janaka,
Destroyed the pride of the angry Parasurama,
And reached back the town of Ayodhya.
2. Leaving out the coronation, due to the promise, Rama
Who was like love God went to forest,
Along with Sita and Lakshmana with peace and equanimity,
Went to the home of Guha and gave his gem studded slippers,
To Bharatha when he met him at Chithrakoota,
3. He went to the greatly spread out forest of Dandakaranya,
Killed Viradha, was presented Vishnu's bow and arrows by the great Agasthya,
Was worshipped by the superior Jatayu, lived in Panchavati,
And killed Khara and others who came there,
As per the words of the fierce Soorpanaka.
4. Killer of the cruel Maricha who took the form of a golden deer,
Ravana disregarding the advice of good people stole Sita,
The sinless one searching for her reached Pampa and met,
Anjaneya, and reached an understanding with Sugreeva,
The son of the Sun who is the jewel in the sky and killed Vali.
5. Rama gave his gem studded ring with shine of hundred suns,
To the son of wind God when he was with Sugreeva,
And when he came back saw the spotless brooch of Sita,
From the auspicious one and met Vibeeshana in the sea shore.
6. He then constructed a bridge, killed endless number of Rakhasas,
Then killed the very brave and mighty ten headed one,
And accompanied by Sita purified by fire reached Ayodhya,
And crowned himself as protector of the Universe and Padmanabha.